Brian D. Poe Criminal Defense
You expect results. Attorney
Brian D. Poe delivers.

Is there anything to do if I lost my trial or pleaded guilty in federal court?

On Behalf of | May 18, 2022 | Knowledge and Resources

I Either Lost My Trial Or Pleaded Guilty In Federal Court, But I Am Not Satisfied With The Outcome. Is There Anything I Can Do?

You can appeal your case to the United States Court of Appeals following a trial or plea, provided you file a Notice of Appeal within fourteen days of the judgment. However, most plea agreements contain some form of an appellate waiver. So you will need to discuss your appellate rights with an attorney. If you have exhausted all of your appellate rights, you can then file a post-conviction petition for a writ of habeas corpus. Bear in mind that there are strict deadlines in federal court for filing appeals and/or post-conviction petitions. As a result, you should consult with an experienced lawyer about these deadlines.

These responses are intended to provide general knowledge about common questions posed. It is important to independently evaluate each scenario. This data is not a substitute for talking about your case with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. The data is also not intended to include legal advice. It is intended primarily for general knowledge purposes.